Monday, August 9, 2010

What I'm Listening To

I love music.  All kinds.  I can sing you half a Broadway song book, James Taylor's greatest hits, country music from the 80s to present and still have enough breath to rap a bit.  I'm eccletic to a point where I am almost non-discriminatory (except for metal.  I really hate metal!).  So, because I am sure your life will not be complete without it and because these are my final days of summer vacation, here's summary of what I have been listening to recently.

"And The Birds Sing" by Tyrone Wells - This song can put you in a great mood no matter where you started!  Plus, as you will probably see, I have a thing about songs with a "la, la" or equivalent chorus (the only thing better is clapping!)

Grace Potter & the Nocturnals (self-titled album) - I liked Grace Potter before this newest album.  But there's something about "Paris (Ooh, La, La)" or "Only Love" that makes you feel like all girl power inside.  This is totally my new "I wanna be a rock star" song!

"Slow Show" by The National - I downloaded this song on the recommendation of Matt Logelin.  It took me about 15 listens to get most of the words because Matt Berninger has the growliest low voice ever, but there's just something about it.  It really does make you feel like you are heading home from a long day, even if you aren't.

Live at Sun Studio by Garrison Starr & Jay Nash - I love Jay Nash.  He has been the soundtrack of my summer.  This project has some great stuff on it.  I haven't had it long so not every song has had the listen it deserves, but I really like "Hey Girl," "Slow It Down" and "Over You."  I would also highly recommend TFDI (EP) from Jay Nash, Matt Duke and Tony Lucca.  In fact, "Slow It Down" is better on this album.  Close Enough (EP) by Tony Lucca also makes my heart very happy.

"Groovy Little Summer Song" by James Otto - While he isn't quite as growly as The National, James Otto has a pretty sweet bass.  This song makes me feel like getting all your friends together and having a party.  Or going to the beach.  And I like both of those things very much. 

"The Only Exception" by Paramore - While quite different from "Airplanes," the other song featuring Hayley Williams this summer, you sometimes just need a love song.  This talks about losing faith in love and finding someone who restores it, and who doesn't love that idea?

"Jar of Hearts" by Christina Perri - This would be an anti-love song.  I first heard it when it was featured on So You Think You Can Dance.  But it's Perri's story that really gets me.  When her song was the score for a dance routine on the show, she was still working in a cafe in LA.  "Jar of Hearts" was #13 on iTunes the next week.  She was signed by a label, performed on The Tonight Show, this fall she's touring with Jason Mraz and finishing her first album.  I'm a softie for success stories like that.

"I and Love and You" by The Avett Brothers - Or pretty much anything by the Avett Brothers.  Period.

"Break Me Out" by The Rescues - This song makes you want to dance around your living room.  Not that I would ever do such a thing.

"Little White Church" by Little Big Town - I am going to rock this song as soon as it becomes available at karaoke.

"How He Loves" by David Crowder Band - I listen to this song when I want to yell at people in traffic.  It makes me cry before he ever sings a word, it's that good.  There's a line that gets me every time 'If His grace is an ocean we're all sinking.'  Seriously an amazing song.

The Drifter and the Gypsy by Rosi Golan -  The whole album's good.  Her music just fits my moods because she sings things the way I think them (if that makes any sense at all).  "It's Been A Long Day" and "Come Around" are two of my very favorites.

"Stuck Like Glue" by Sugarland -  I'm a huge Sugarland fan.  I want to be Jennifer Nettles when I grow up.  This cut off their upcoming album is so good!  Instead of gettting old, it's just more fun with every play!   I can't wait for October to hear the whole album.

These are just a few of my favorites.  What can you not stop listening to?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...