Friday, April 15, 2011

M Is For Music

If you know one thing about me, it's probably the role that music plays in my life.  I've been singing from the time I could talk.  What other four-year old could sing every song on The Big Chill soundtrack?  I didn't always like being able to sing when I was a kid because my voice was too big for my age.  I will never forget being at church, being teased by a friend's cute older brother because of my voice.  I got over it, though. 

And then when I discovered musicals?  Puh-lease!  I became the human songbook, soaking up as many lyrics as I could.  I'm still amazed at the songs I know, even when I haven't heard them in a long time.  (That space in my brain should probably be filled with something important, like math skills!)  Singing will always be one of my favorite things, particularly in church.  There's no place where the emotional power of music is more deeply felt for me. 

Today, as far as what I'm listening to, I'm the girl that always has a new favorite song or a new artist I'm loving.  I don't listen to a lot of what is on the radio, but instead troll iTunes for a mix of the new and old.  Lately, I've been loving albums by Lori McKenna, The Civil Wars, and Peter Bradley Adams, and singles by a couple dozen others. 

At the end of the day, I will always be a girl who knows a little too much Broadway, has an obsession with MoTown, can sing the hymn book, and always has a few too many songs that you just have to hear.  But I just don't think I would want it to be any other way!

1 comment:

  1. Hey KTJane ~~ my first time visiting your blog ! I also love singing & music ! Enjoy the rest of the A~Z Challenge !! And Happy M Day ! Keep singing !!

    ~MICHELLE~
    http://writer-in-transit.co.za/category/other/rambles-rants-and-raves/

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...