Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Playing Well With Others

Last night, I went to bed at 8 o'clock.  It was still mostly light outside.  And minus a couple half-asleep conversations with Delilah about banging into the closet doors for fun, I slept straight until my alarm went off.  The first week of school always kicks my tail.  The getting used to a new sleep pattern, the being on my feet from 8:00 to 3:00, the constant troubleshooting...but I love it!

I have a few goals for the new school year and I figured that this was a good place to talk about them.  So, here we go:
  • I don't just want to be, I NEED to be organized.  I am currently teaching seven classes with at least 17 kids apiece in them.  If I start getting behind, I'm sunk.  That's not even mentioning the club stuff.  So far, so good, but it is only the second day of school and all.
  • I want to be passionate about what I teach and compassionate for who I teach.  Already it's apparent that we have kids who are facing some difficult things.  I never want to let the curriculum I'm responsible for get in the way of the lessons I teach.
  • I want to keep my temper in check.  People, I'm kind of a hot head when you get me going about something.  I'm loud and mouthy and all sorts of other things I am not proud of.  I'm getting better every year about keeping myself in check, but I figure it's always something worth working on.
  • I want to remember that I don't have to say "Yes" to everything I'm asked to be a part of.  Every committee doesn't need my input.  I spread myself too thin last year and it made me crazy (well, crazier than usual, anyway!)
  • I want to learn as much as I can.  Not just about my subject matter, either, though that's certainly a start.  I want to learn to learn from the people around me.  I'm lucky enough to have great people surrounding me, and I want to take full advantage of the opportunities.
I hope all of the teachers (and students) out there are having a great first week.  (Though I know several who still have a bit before they start!)  I'd love to hear some of your goals for the new school year too!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...