Thursday, May 3, 2012

Constant Reminders

Sometimes, I forget why I do what I do.  The days get too long, the results discouraging, or interactions with others stress me out.  There are days where the fruits of my labor seem to either rot on the vine or never come at all. 

And then days come like the last couple days.  On days like these, every single thing I give up or work for or put up with is worth it.  I had five kids qualify for the state track meet.  FIVE!  In the absolutely sweltering, near 90 degrees at the first of May heat.  Five is more than I ever have had in five years of coaching.  The joy on their faces had me tearing up at the finish line.  It was pure bliss.  I have never been more proud of a team, of every last kid. 

Tonight, I had parents come up to me and tell me how much their child enjoyed my class, how their child came home and talked about my passion for the subjects I teach, how much that meant to them as parents.  And I could barely hold myself together.  I so rarely get to hear that from parents, even if they think it.  Teachers usually only get to hear from a parent when something unpleasant happens.  I don't think these parents could ever really know how much that few minutes of conversation means to me.  It's huge!

And if that all wasn't enough, I was walking out with one of my seniors, talking about how great Project Graduation is going to be (it's beyond my imagination kind of good) and he looked at me and said, "I'm gonna be so blessed tomorrow."  I get jaded.  I get frustrated.  I get tired, stressed, whiny, and downright bitchy.  And this kid, who has survived more than any kid should have to, is choosing to be blessed. 

Teaching isn't for the weak of heart.  But may my heart always stay tender to the kind of joy and blessings that are possible.  And me?  I'm gonna be so blessed tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. It was thrilling to read your post about your teaching experiences.

    As a retired teacher, I know that teaching is not for the weak. Have a blessed tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations. I always wanted to tell my daughters teachers how great they are. They are a big reason why she is such a good student. I'm sure your students feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful! I'm so glad there are people out there who appreciate a good and caring teacher - and tell them! I'm glad you got to hear it! Keep doing what you do!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...