Thursday, July 26, 2012

Because I Just Can't Keep My Mouth Shut

You've seen it on the news, probably to the point that you groan every time someone says anything about it.   It's all over your Facebook news feed.  Joyce actually did a much better job of talking about it this morning than I am about to.  That's right, I'm going to say something about all this fuss over Chick-fil-A.  And if you don't want to read  it or it's going to make you say mean things, feel free to stop reading right now.

It doesn't really matter what I think about this situation.  And I have no intention of pushing my views off on you.  What I will say, as a teacher of the Constitution, is this:  It is Dan Cathy's right to donate to whatever organizations he wants to donate to.  He owns a business, and that business has given him the means to do as he pleases.  If you, as a member of the public, disagree with that, you don't have to eat there.  You don't have to shop at Hobby Lobby either.  Or JC Penney or any other business whose values don't meet yours.  And I will even say that it's your right to tell others of your opinions, if you want to.  But, please, oh please, use a little decorum.  Also, if this is your stance, you should look into the practices of every other business that you give money to and make sure they align with yours.  (Wouldn't want to do anything halfway, right?)  Oh, and mayors of various major cities: don't use this situation that has been blown out of proportion in the most ridiculous way, as a method of political gain.  

What no one brandishing the flag of equal rights wants to say is that equal rights means everyone has rights under the law, whether you agree with their practice of those rights or not.  What I wish is that people would get as outraged about things that really matter as they have about this situation.  You want to really talk about donations and influence, let's look at where politicians get their campaign money.  Let's get outraged about child trafficking or abuse.  Let's talk about helping America's veterans. Let's stop worrying about where a guy who sells chicken gives his dollars and talk about something that actually makes a difference in the world.  Please?



8 comments:

  1. YES! This is my first comment on your blog, but I've been reading for a few months.. I couldn't agree more with everything that you said. I am sick of going onto my Facebook because all I see are attacks and mean-spirited posts. To me, the most impressive part about your blog post up there is that you never had to even give your views on the gay marriage debate. It's not even about that. It's about the freedom to have an opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my whole point. It doesn't really matter what I think. What matters is that everyone is allowed to have an opinion, and if they want to discuss those opinions, they do it with dignity and grace.

      Also, thanks for commenting! I hope you will stick around!

      Delete
  2. I think you said it pretty well : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree completely. I also agree that the people who are outraged and have decided to stop eating at Chick-fil-a should realize that the other companies they do visit are often supporting low-wage labor in third world countries. Let's talk about that instead. Let's start being concerned about ethical business practices, rather than getting upset over people's opinions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. This is what has really upset me. People insist on behaving that this is the worst/most controversial thing that is happening today. It's not even close. I'd much rather talk about issues that are more far-reaching than this particular one.

      Delete
  4. You go girl! Katie, I understand how you need to speak up on an issue. Good for you. I like blogging for that reason. Sometimes I use my blog for fun & frivilous thoughts, but sometimes I want to be heard (in a non-offensive way.) So, again, I get it. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marla! Most of what I write about is fluff, but every so often something comes along that I can't help but speak up about it.

      Delete

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...