Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Wednesday Hodgepodge - 8/15



1. I included this quote (attributed to William H. Danforth) in my blog post yesterday... "The best cure for a sluggish mind is to disturb it's routine." When was the last time you 'disturbed your routine' and how'd you do it?

I'm back to work, so I am ten kinds of disturbed right now.  Getting up early, teaching new classes, adjusting to staff changes (including not have my mother in the building with me for the first time in my teaching career)...it's crazy!  But when the dust settles, it will become the routine and the breaks will be what breaks it up!

2. What's your favorite fried food indulgence?

Fried foods are my love language.  But I'm trying not to eat them very often at all.  My favorite will always be french fries, but I have a soft spot for a well-made fried pickle or potato skin.

3. Did you have an allowance as a kid? What did you do with it? Do you give your own kids an allowance?

I didn't really have an allowance.  Mom and Dad just gave us money if we needed it, though they did award money if you did a little something extra around the house.  I think if I had kids, I would probably give them an allowance, but who knows?

4. What's something you wish you knew more about?

I wish I knew more about how to put together my Common Core curriculum map.  I'm making progress but, I really wish I was done with all of them, so that I could start putting together more lessons.  It's a process, though, and I will see it through.  (I am repeating this as much as necessary.)

5. Is there anything you feel too old to do anymore? If so, what?

I am too old to stay up all night.  I was never that good at it (I like to sleep), but I know after every Project Graduation that I don't have it in me to let my inner teenager lose anymore. 

6. What's a song you think has a great first line?

"Hold on to me as we go, As we roll down this unfamiliar road..."  Home by Phillip Phillips.  I don't know that it's my favorite ever or anything, but it's the song that I am listening to a lot recently and am using to keep my focus when things seem out of control.  

7. Who are you writing to/for when you create a blog post? In other words...as you write, who is the audience in your head?

I'm just talking to you all--my people.  I talk like I am talking to a friend, because I am.  I've "met" some of the coolest people blogging, and they are always the audience in my head when I write.  

8. Insert your own random thought here.

It's Tuesday (because I am working ahead) and I'm already exhausted.  I don't know that I like what that means for the rest of the week.  I welcome any warm thoughts or prayers that you want to shoot out to the universe in my favor.  :)

12 comments:

  1. Love that Phil Phillips song - however after watching the olympics it will always remind me of the USA women's gymnastics team - they always were playing it during the slow motion clips of their routines just before the commercials. And I totally should have thought of "staying up all night" as something I am to old to do anymore...If it is after midnight and I am still awake I know I am in trouble the next day :) Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in! I have since thought of a thousand other great first lines..."Where have all the good men gone, and where are all the gods?" anyone...but I do love "Home." It got a pretty good surge from being on the Olympics, too!

      And midnight is totally past my bedtime!

      Delete
  2. I'm pretty much addicted to that Phillip Phillips song : ) I'm sure everything will come together. Enjoy your new challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My theory is that whatever didn't get done probably wasn't that important anyway!

      And I am right with you on the song!

      Delete
  3. Good luck with your new teaching year and the common core map. I am working hard at planning our year at home here and feeling a bit overwhelmed. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Taylor! It is overwhelming, but I think that I will be pleased with the final product! And I have to say that the upside of homeschooling is that you don't have to worry about pleasing anyone but yourself! (unless you find yourself particularly hard to work with!) :)

      Delete
  4. Back at school and students come tomorrow. Definitely relate to new challenges because we also have new curriculum maps-ugh! I must be in the dark-haven't heard the Phillip Phillips song-will put this on my to do list to listen to. Hope you have a great school year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The song is worth a listen! And good luck to you this year as well!

      Delete
  5. As a teacher myself, who has a 23 year old starting her very first year of teaaching first grade from DAY ONE (she jumped in mid-year last year) I can feel the tension of getting lessons planned. By God's grace, they always do come together. Or if they don't turn out like we planned, it's a learning experience for us. "In all toil there is profit." Have a great year adjusting to the new changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wishing you and your daughter a great year of teaching! I'm mostly excited about things, it's just a lot to take in!

      Delete
  6. I have not heard the Philip Philps song yet. I am stuck in my clasic rock/christain music do not listen to much new stuff.
    I am starting to teach this year actually in two weeks at the local community college have always wanted to teach new nurses this year I am. I am excited and nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice post thanks for sharing...i found your blog thrue the hodgepodge...looking for to visit more...blessings from holland...

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...