Wednesday, October 17, 2012
Wednesday Hodgepodge - 10/17
Ya'll I have been out of it this week so far. I had a bug over the weekend and into Monday and I pretty much just slept for three days straight. Not good for the blog, but probably good for me. Unless I have malaria. (It's possible I have been looking up symptoms on WebMD. Nothing makes you feel better than hypocrondria!) Anyway, I'm back and it's Hodgepodge time!
1. Noah Webster was born this week back in 1758....besides the online version, do you own a dictionary? Do you ever use the hardback copy or is your hunt for a definition strictly online these days?
I do own several dictionaries, because I have a classroom. We do use the hardback version from time to time, just for reference sake.
2. Should public schools ban Halloween celebrations? What about other holiday celebrations currently under fire?
I'm not a big Halloween person now, but I always did as a kid. I don't think that they should ban the classroom celebrations. I understand how important instruction is, but you have to break it up with fun sometimes. As far as those who don't agree with the celebrations for religious regions, don't feel obligated to participate, but don't spoil everyone else's fun either.
3. What's your favorite 'dog' movie?
I don't know that I have a favorite dog movie. Most of the ones I thought of are horribly sad and not ones that I want to revisit. When I was younger, I remember really loving Beethoven, though. It was funny and happy and no one had to kill their rabid pet dog (looking at you, Old Yeller).
4. When were you last somewhere you'd describe as 'too quiet'?
I think it's weird being in the school late in the evening when everyone has gone home. It always feels a little like the beginning of a horror movie.
5. Are you a neat cook or a messy cook? In other words do you clean as you go or make a big mess and then deal with it later?
I'm a terrible cook. And a messy one. I always say I will deal with the mess later, and sometimes later is a couple days later. Thankfully, I don't cook on a large scale that often.
6. Did you hear about Felix Baumgartner, the skydiver who broke the sound barrier via parachute? Was your first thought COOL! or was your first thought CRAZY! Are you adventurous?
I watched the whole thing! It was absolutely crazy, but very cool. I was a little worried because he seemed sluggish, but he made 800+ miles per hour look easy. I am not adventurous, but I admire those who are.
7. What's not a word but should be?
Gazillion. I love to use it in moments of great exaggeration.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
Confession: I teach civics. The thought of watching the presidential debates gave me anxiety. I put on Season 5 of The Big Bang Theory instead and never gave it a second thought.