Monday, February 18, 2013

What I've Been Listening To

This is my no means an exhaustive list, but I felt like it was time to do a check on some of my favorite songs recently.  Please let me know what you've been loving in the comments.  I always love to check out new stuff.  (Even if it's old stuff!)

"Ten Thousand Hours" - Macklemore and Ryan Lewis - The Heist - I have always had a thing for rap that was smart.  Don't give me a cheap rhyme when you can think of an intelligent one.  And Macklemore does it every time.  The whole album is pretty brilliant, if that's your cup of tea.

"Anymore of This" - Mindy Smith and Matthew Perryman Jones - Single - I heard this song randomly while shopping iTunes and tweeted about how heartbreakingly beautiful was.  Both artists happened to see it (I didn't even know they had accounts) and were so sweet about it.  (Reason #623 I love Twitter!)  But even if that hadn't happened, I would insist you give this song a chance.

"Bleeding Out" - The Lone Bellow - The Lone Bellow - This was actually the free song one week.  I believe that they will be the next big thing in the bands that are in the same vein as Mumford and Sons.  And they have a girl in the band so that makes them instantly cooler.  ;)

"Ready or Not" or "Hurricane" - Bridgit Mendler - Hello My Name Is...-Sometimes a girl just loves a little mindless pop.  (Don't judge!)  And this fits the bill.  But I dare you to listen to this and not dance in your car just a little.

"Dancing On My Own" - Robyn - Body Talk  -  This is not a new song, but I fell in love with it thanks to some Girls promos.  Sure the lyrics are a little stalker-y but the beat is so good.

"On Top Of The World" - Imagine Dragons - Night Visions - I liked "It's Time" but this is my new favorite having a good day kind of song.  When it hits the chorus, it's impossible to not to get swept up in the celebration.  Plus, I like anything that uses a clap as percussion.

"I Ain't Your Mama" - Maggie Rose - Single - Who doesn't need a good country song to strut with?  This is just a wisp of a song at 2:36, but it's so fun.  There's just something about her voice that I love, too.

"Feel Again" - One Republic - Single - I am such a sucker for their stuff.  It's a formula at this point, but it doesn't feel old.  At least not to me.

"You Are Mine" - Enter The Worship Circle - Chair and Microphone, Vol. 3 - Again, not a new song, but one I found because of Hart of Dixie.  It was one of those moments where I stopped paying attention to the scene and wondered, "Who is that?  And why don't I already have it?"   It's rare that I listen to it and don't tear up, as it's become something of a personal anthem.

Pretty much any song - Nashville Cast - The Music of Nashville - Connie Britton is my hero.  Seriously love that woman.  And the songs they use on this show are written by some of the best songwriters in Nashville today because T-Bone Burnett picks the music for his wife, Callie Khouri's, show.  Love it.  Current favorite is "Boys and Buses" followed closely by "When The Right One Come Along."

"You Were Born" - Cloud Cult - Light Chasers - How sweet would this song be in a slideshow of baby pictures?  It's thanks to another TV show, How I Met Your Mother.  (Yes, I watch a lot of TV in my spare time.)

And one other music note, I have spent a few too many hours watching footage from the In The Heights Reunion Concert that happened last Monday in NYC.  Most of it is shot on cell phones and whatnot, but to see the whole cast of that show together again and having a blast is just priceless.  There are a ton of videos out there, but here's one where you get to see the whole cast being incredible.


And here's a bonus one that pictures local legend, Christopher Jackson, tearing it up on a song that they cut between the off-Broadway and the Broadway production called "Hear Me Out."


The music from this entire show is brilliant, just like its writer, Lin-Manuel Miranda, and its entire cast.  I never got to see the show in person, but these videos make me feel like it.

2 comments:

  1. Some great songs. Some I had never heard before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I agree with just about all of them, with the exception of Bridgit Mendler. I loved Ready or Not until I realized that it was a remake of the Fugees classic. So many of my favorites on here though!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...