Thursday, September 17, 2009

While I Was Napping (aka Weekend Recap)

Let's start at the very beginning.  (Come on, fellow music nerds, all together now...) A very good place to start.....

Friday went well.  We sang, and despite the fact that I didn't realize the mic was off for half of the first verse, we received compliments.  Though apparently we were supposed to do two songs.  Oops...sorry, Judy! 

Saturday was hot and after the parade I went back into my nice air conditioned house for a bit. I assumed that I was sapped out by the staying up late watching Gossip Girl with my sis, getting up early to grade papers and work on photos combo coupled with the heat.  I would soon learn that I was sick!  More on that in a minute...

Luckily by the time I came back out for my turn at supervising my club members supervising the bouncy houses (there's a lot of supervising in that sentence) there was a nice breeze.  I camped out in the shade of the bouncy house doorway and went about finding 600 ways to say "Stop that" and "Please don't" for the next three hours.  During this time, I came to an important realization. I have always assumed that most of my students have reasonable parents who try to teach them how to act and their children don't listen.  Junior high students have trouble with that.  They barely listen to each other, much less adults.  However, after three hours of observation of the population at large I have discovered that too many parents aren't telling their children anything but "Go play over there away from me."  This is disturbing on so many levels.  Let's just say I hope to never again have a stare down with an 8 year-old who has climbed to the top of the bouncy house and has her body precariously wrapped around a giraffe's neck.  And if it does happen, I hope it's my kid, in which case I could yank the child up and take them home where they won't leave the house until it's time for college.  Or military school, whichever comes first.

After a full afternoon keeping children from committing hara kiri on the bouncy houses, I hung out at my parents.  This was fun because (1) free food and (2) my brother and future sis-in-law were over and I could give Bub the presents I had for him.  I've been scanning old pics into my computer recently, and found a picture of my brother on his first trip to Busch Stadium.  As a lifelong Cards fan, this was a major find and he was thrilled.  I left my parents kind of early because I was just wiped out. 

At 4 am, I woke up with a fever and spent all of Sunday and Monday in bed with a sinus infection.  I'm feeling better now, but it was unpleasant to say the least.  So I've spent the rest of the week making up for the day of work I missed and that's why despite starting this post on Tuesday, you are just getting it today.  You might get an additional post if you are good, though.  And coming soon, a guest blog from one of my favorite traveling and shopping buddies....

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...