Thursday, September 17, 2009

Why Hoff Should Not Be a Part of Speech...

I wasn't supposed to be at home last night.  I was supposed to be a good girl and go to the Missionary meeting to hear this awesome girl and some of her friends speak about the important work they are doing in Cairo, IL  (That's pronounced CARE-O and not KI-RO like the capital of Egypt.)  Except when I got home from work much later than I had intended, I found myself with a fever.  So, in everyone's best interest I stayed home.

This meant I got to partake in Wednesday night's TV offerings.  I have to admit I was pretty conflicted.  The America's Got Talent finale was on, and while I haven't watched every episode this summer, I'd seen enough to feel invested.  But, in the same two hours, two of my absolute favorites were on -- So You Think You Can Dance and Glee.  Let's just say I made good use of the flaskback button on the old remote. 

The most disturbing thing from last night (short of some VERY bad dancers) was David Hasselhoff.  I often find his arrogance mildly amusing.  But I must put his latest stunt to a halt for the safety of the English language.  "The Hoff" as he is so fond of being called, has started coining phrases like Hoff-the-Chain or Mazel-Hoff.  This must end! We have already given this man Knight Rider, Baywatch, and a judging spot on a talent show when he has no discernable talent.  (Yeah, yeah, I know.  He's a superstar in Germany.  I don't, however, actually care.)  We have given him much more than he deserves.  There is no reason to make him or anything pertaining to him a part of speech.  Please give me a minute to get down off this soapbox...

Before I go, I do want to say a few words about Glee.  If you haven't seen it, and you even remotely enjoy comedy or music, check it out.  It cracks me up.  I bought the premiere episode on DVD and have watched no less than six times since.  It's the combination of great writing and an even better score that makes this so highly addictive.  What's more fun than people saying funny things and then blowing your mind with their vocal talent?  Plus, anytime someone wants to put together an acapella version of a Color Me Badd or Bel Biv Devoe song, I'm totally supportive.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...