Thursday, January 28, 2010

Workaholic?

So last night, someone called me a workaholic. I actually laughed when he said it, because I don't really think that's true.  Part of my problem is that I am a procrastinator.  I like to plan, but I will still wait until I get as close to the dealine as possible before executing.  The other part of my problem is that I have a hard time saying "No."  I sponsor four clubs at the school, plus do all of my other teacher stuff, and if that wasn't enough I just started the Gifted Training that helped me get that Netbook.

However, my mom said recently that she really felt like my service to the school was one of the ways that I serve God, and I do believe that is true.  When you teach where you grew up, your students are more than just the kids in your classroom for 180 days.  They are the same kids you see at the grocery store, the ballpark, and just about everywhere else.  I've known some of their families all my life, and others I have taught all their brothers and sisters.  I love my job!  I also have a heart for teenagers, especially when I get the chance to talk one-on-one with them.  I can't count the number of times my eyes have filled with tears as I talked with students about the heartbreaks and the joys of their lives.  And those are some of the most amazing moments in my teaching career! 

When I tell people what I do for a living, they either sigh or shake their heads and say something like "I sure couldn't do it."  And I think that's probably true of every job.  You certainly wouldn't want me to wire your house or take your blood.  But I'd like to think that you would be okay with me teaching your kid.  And if that makes me a workaholic, then so be it.

1 comment:

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...