Thursday, April 15, 2010

Spring--When A Young Man's Heart Turns to Mischief

I don't talk about my job a whole lot for obvious reasons.  But I want to take a minute to talk about spring time and junior high kids.  It seems that as soon as the weather turns nice outside, I lose them.  Not physically.  They are all where they are supposed to be.  I'm losing them in just about every other way.  Now, this is not to say that I don't lose them during other times of the year (like during deer season or when something really exciting is happening out the window or in the hallway), but spring is especially miserable. 

I think part of it is that I don't want to be here either.  Not to say that I don't love my job, because I love it very much.  It's just that it's nice outside and I really want to spend all day doing the things I love even more, like taking pictures. 

*****WARNING:  SIDE RANT******

By the way, just because you can operate a camera doesn't mean that you are a photographer.  That's like saying because I understand how the human body works, I'm a doctor.  I like to take pictures.  People have commented on the quality of the pictures I take.  And while I love this, you will notice that there is no shingle on my door advertising it.  I have wonderful friends who are, in fact, amazing photographers.  They have what I refer to as "the eye," that innate ability to see what others can't.  The ones who can do this amaze me with their talent, and even when I am allowed to follow them around all day, I still can't match them.  I'm a person who sometimes gets a nice shot, those people are photographers.  Yet, these other people with cameras (I refuse to call them photographers), post their work and people "ooh and aah" over how great they are.  I mean, I guess some of that is to be expected because who is going to tell someone "You have no discernable talent."   (It's possible that some of those people are just being nice about my work!)  But, I tend to think that Americans in general are losing their appreciation for true greatness, and settling for mediocrity.  As technology becomes more available to us, we all assume that we too are artists.  At some point, we are going to have to be honest with ourselves and realize there are those who are truly talented and those that just like pressing buttons.

*****The rant has ended. Go in peace.******

What was I saying?  Oh, yeah distractions.  I'm as bad as the next kid.  But there's just a certain level of awful that comes with spring.  The kids are rowdier.  They all want to couple up or fight about who's coupling up or just create chaos and disorder.  And it just makes 32 more days seem like a really long time.  Can I hear an "Amen," teacher friends?

2 comments:

  1. I am in absolute agreement with you about the photography issue! I was just talking to my mom about it this morning on the way home from curves! I said... sooo... Anna has places to buy smokes, places to buy booze, places to buy car parts, places to get your hair did, and a lot of people who think they are photographers! GAH! My cousin's husband once commented on some really random photos that I posted, that I have a "great sense of proportion and contrast" and that I should consider "pursuing a career in photography" - and while I appreciate his compliments, there's no friggin way! I refuse to be a poser! And I'm not saying that there aren't talented people in this area... i'm just saying... just because you can set up a nice pose in front of a pretty background... does not mean you deserve recognition as an artist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! I love people who agree with me. (And know exactly what I'm talking about. And read my blog, in general...)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...