Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

Officially, I am not a mother.  I have not birthed or adopted or married into babies.  But, some days, I feel like a mama.  You can't help it when you spend your days trying to lovingly direct kids down the right path.  It's made for some really sweet and some amazingly heartbreaking moments in my life.  But today, I want to take a minute and honor some really fantastic moms. 

I've talked about my mom before.  I'm one of the lucky ones.  My mom always showed up in the ways that mattered.  She got me involved in theater when I was just 7, she came to every event, she embraced me when I made decisions that I knew weren't what she had hoped I would do (becoming a teacher, changing churches).  She is the person I talk to at least every other day (not counting when we are a work).  My mom rocks!

Depending on where I was in my life there have been "other mothers" who have shaped me. Women like Debbie, Nanny Pam, Sandy, my fabulous aunties, my grandmas. I have always been blessed to have lots of strong women in my life. I am inspired by my friends who are mothers; their grace under fire and sense of wonder and humor at the world (even when they don't feel like that's what's happening) is just awesome.

But one of those women who made me who I am passed away last night from cancer (oh, how I hate this disease!).  My godmother, Linda, was the sweetest woman I have ever known.  She lived just up the road and I can remember many a fun afternoon spent at her house playing with her boys and pulling the handle on the real nickel slot machine they had at their house.  Most of my childhood memories of birthdays or Catholic church are mingled in with memories of Linda.  She was my first Communion teacher.  She was the one that I feared I was letting down the most by leaving the Church.  Linda never failed to tell me how beautiful my voice was.  She used to say that she felt like she sang better when I was singing in the congregation.  She had a wonderful, perfume-y smell that trailed her when she left a room and a very distinctive voice and laugh.  The last time I saw her was at Easter, and we had a very nice visit.  I am so thankful that I have a good memory of her as the last one.  I am so sad for her family and I am sad for the world because we lost a truly amazing godly woman.  She leaves a legacy of faith and love. And isn't that the best we can ask for?

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful tribute you just wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. It doesn't even begin to do Linda justice.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...