Sunday, September 19, 2010

Extreme Home Makeover Is My Undoing....

Been a pretty quiet day today, which is good because yesterday was exhausting.  My middle school boys played a lot of baseball yesterday.  They won the day, but my arms and legs are unhappy about that many hours of snapping pictures.  Wouldn't trade it for anything though.

After church this morning, I had to make a WalMart run, which is always fun (warning: sarcasm).  Luckily, lunch and a nice nap fixed most of that.  And this evening, I went back for prayer group, and those lovely women have a way of making you feel better about just about anything. 

But, to my topic at hand.  Extreme Home Makeover.  If you are a fan, you know that you don't really watch this show as much as sob your way through it.  I made it six minutes into tonight's episode before I was ugly crying all over the place.  A kid with spina bifida, a dad with ALS who is a football coach with at-risk students.  The couple were junior high school sweethearts.  The special guest stars are Michael Oher and the Tuohy family and Demi Lovato.  I mean, I seen a lot of episodes and watched them do some great stuff, but this one is just kicking my butt.  I think what I really love about this show isn't its openly manipulative tear-jerking ways so much as how it makes you want to go out and do something for someone else. 

While I don't necessarily call it karma, I do believe that the good you put out in to the world comes back to you.  In turn, so does the bad.  Does this mean that bad things don't happen to good people? No, unfortunately.  But it does mean that when you put good things out into the world, when you shine your light, it does make a difference.  You may not see it, you may not feel it, but it's out there and if enough of us would do it, it would change the world.  And I know that's very "Pollyanna" of me, but who says it's not true?  It really does start with one person.  One good deed.  One hand reaching out.  Will it be yours? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...