Saturday, November 6, 2010

Day 7: My Favorite Films

I could talk about movies forever.  There's nothing better than 2 hours of being transported to some other time, place, or situation.  I especially love to listen to directors and actors talk about why they made the decisions they made in terms of a certain scene or role.  Please, don't take this to mean that I am one of those snobby movie people who only sees movies that will be nominated by the Oscars.  In fact, I am much the opposite. Which you will no doubt observe in what I'm calling My Must-Watch List...
  • The Holiday - An English woman and an American woman meet by chance through the Internet and trade lives for two weeks.  Hmmm...what do you say, Rebecca?  (Just kidding!)  I do seriously love this movie and watch it all the time.  Plus I love Kate Winslet.
  • Bull Durham - It's a movie about loving baseball.  And how baseball applies to love.  And young Kevin Costner.  Need I say more?
  • Some Kind Of Wonderful - It's about a girl who loves her best guy friend, who is of course, in love with another girl.  And it's wonderfully 80's in all the right ways.
  • Footloose - Speaking of 80's movies, this one is a classic.  I forgive Kenny Ortega for making Kevin Bacon dance his rage off in the barn scene.  But even that is totally bathed in 80's awesomeness.  
  • The Blind Side - Sandra Bullock acted the heck out of her role (even the real LeAnn Tuohy approved) and deservedly won an Oscar.  Personally, I'm just a sucker for movies where the main character beats the odds.
  • Love Actually - There are so many priceless scenes by arguably one of the most talented ensemble casts ever assembled.  It makes you laugh and breaks your heart all at the same time. 
  • Singing In The Rain - Seriously, I dare you to watch and not want to learn to tap dance. 
  • White Christmas - This is my favorite Christmas movie ever.  I will easily watch it 15 times between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Rosemary Clooney singing "Count Your Blessings Instead of Sheep" gets me every time. 
  • Sabrina - Either version works.  I really like the original with Audrey Hepburn, Humphrey Bogart and William Holden myself, but Julia Ormond was pretty great, too.  And the remake does have Harrison Ford. 
  • Roman Holiday - Everyone talks about Breakfast at Tiffany's, but to be honest, I really disliked that movie (and I own it too).  I think this is a much better Hepburn movie, plus it co-stars Gregory Peck.  And it's themes endure beautifully.
  • Remember the Titans - I watch this movie a lot too.  Great soundtrack.  Better acting and story.
  • Mean Girls - I should probably admit that I have a girl crush on Tina Fey.  I think she is one of the funniest, smartest voices out there today.  This movie proves it.  (It also proves why we should all want Lindsay Lohan to get clean and Rachel McAdams to do more comedy!)
  • Juno - I remember when I saw this movie in theaters with Amber.  I was pretty sure it changed the way I felt about how teens could be portrayed in film.  And Ellen Page rocks.
  • Guys and Dolls - Young Marlon Brando was so hot!  And I love the songs in this musical, so much so that this is one of the only musicals I've never been in that I really wish I could have been. 
  • Post Grad - This was a little seen movie featuring Alexis Bledel (Rory on Gilmore Girls) and Zach Gilford (Matt on Friday Night Lights).  I love this movie because it's about how sometimes life doesn't turn out like you planned, how sometimes making decisions is scary and college doesn't prepare you for life.  But you figure it out. 
  • Center Stage and Save The Last Dance - These are totally cheesy dance movies.  And I watch them all the time.
  • Finding Nemo -  One of my favorite animated movies, second to Despicable Me.  I especially love Dory!
I could seriously go on and on and on about this.  In fact, as I'm writing I keep looking over at my shelf and thinking "Oh, just one more!" but it has to stop somewhere!  What are some of your must-see movies?

6 comments:

  1. I love so many of the movies you have listed. I still really need to see centre stage and remember the titans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember the Titans is a definite. Center Stage is great for what it is, but isn't exactly going to revolutionize film. But you totally get what you came for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE movies! So many of them! I'm going to have a real issue when I get to this number in the list :) And I liked and have seen almost all of those movies....so good, so good, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of my favorites are on this list! The Holiday is probably in my top 5!

    Kayla
    http://bebrandnew.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie, you and I could happily go to the movies together. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, ladies! It was so much fun to see that you all stopped by! (And even better that you like my picks!) Thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...