Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Wednesday Hodgepodge


1. Do you think the world became a more dangerous place on September 11, 2001 or did we just become more aware of the danger? How has your own life changed as a result of that day?

     I don't think that the world was any more dangerous on the 11th than it was on the 10th or any day before.  I just think that when something is on your front steps, you pay more attention to it.  I will never forget being in the Student Center at my university reading a magazine, glancing up to see the second plane hit the towers, and I won't forget the days after.  However, my daily life isn't really that much different (the beauty of the rural life, little ever changes), other than I am more aware that it could always happen, that danger does exist.


 
2. Did you think your parents were too strict when you were growing up? How about in hindsight?

     My parents were pretty awesome.  I didn't grow up in a strict household.  There were some rules that we were always expected to follow.  Once we turned 16, as long as we were honest about where we were going and what we were doing, and we called if things changed, we were allowed to pretty much go wherever we wanted.  If we were ever caught being dishonest, we were in serious trouble, though, and lost those privileges. 


 
3. Share one random but candid fact about yourself.

     I have a fear of ledges.  Heights don't really bother me, but I don't want to have to look over the ledge and see how far there is to fall if something happens.  Edges of balconies really weird me out.


 
4. Would your nearest and dearest describe you as simple or far too complicated?

     Aren't all women complicated?  Haha!  I am high maintenance by my own admission, but I am also pretty easy going about most things.  That probably still makes me complicated.


 
5. What is your favorite stadium or carnival food?

     This is totally a regional thing, but Malone's Salt Water Taffy makes me so happy!  (Just the regular white kind.  The flavored, colored ones are gross.)  I am also a huge fan of those curly fries they cut on a drill bit.


 
6. Tornado, hurricane, earthquake...how many of these natural disasters have you experienced? Which event do you think would be the scariest?

      I live a little too far inland for a hurricane, but I have had hurricane force winds from remnants of a tropical storm take down a tree in my yard.  That wasn't great.  I've experienced small earthquakes too.  But the scariest was definitely the tornado that came in 2003.  I don't remember ever being as scared as I was huddled in the basement with my family in those moments.  My parents weren't at home and I just managed to get my sister, grandma and myself up to my uncle's before the storm took hold.  That storm killed three people, and did a lot of damage in my area.


 
7. Labor Day weekend is approaching so a work related question seems appropriate. Growing up, did your parents assign you regular chores? Were you paid for doing those chores? If you're a parent do you assign chores to your own children? Why or why not?

   My parents did not assign us regular chores.  Maybe if they had I would be better at housework, but probably not.  We didn't get allowances either.  If we needed money, we would ask for it.  I also babysat and had other jobs during the summer once I was a teen to make a little extra money.  I'm not a mom, but I think that I would probably give my kid at least one chore to be responsible for every week.  I don't think that's too much to ask.

(That last question was inspired by a post Mindee wrote on Monday. Everyone go say hi to Mindee-she blogs at Our Front Door and she's funny. )  I totally agree with Joyce on that one!  I have Mindee featured on my sidebar, too!

 
8. My random thought:
     My brain is still having some adjustment issues to school schedule.  I am also having these crazy, vivid dreams right before my alarm goes off in the morning.  At first they were kind of funny, but now that the mythology from the Percy Jackson novels I've been reading with my students is bleeding over into them, they are increasingly less so.


2 comments:

  1. Oh my, I have a fear of heights and ledges only intensify it.

    I think tornado's are the worst of all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately my fear goes beyond ledges to heights in general. I hate being so scared of heights because I love the mountains but can't look over in the valley at them.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...