Thursday, February 28, 2013

Lent

I know I'm a little late to the party, but I think I've finally decided what my Lenten observance is going to be. It's been a few years since I really gave it ago, mostly because I was worshiping in a Protestant church that didn't really observe Lent.  But, lately my Catholic roots seem to be showing, and I felt the need to do something to mark this time before the celebration of the Resurrection.

Anyway, I say all of that to say this:  I'm not the best with spoken word.  I often don't say what I mean, or what I mean is betrayed by the way I say it.  This has been an issue all my life.  I really want to be a bold, say anything I'm thinking extrovert, but at heart I am a people pleasing introvert.  Add to this, my ever-so-slight social awkwardness, and let me tell you, I'm in business.  So, saying how I feel is pretty much out of any equation.  But writing has always been easy for me.  I'm so much better on paper than I am in person.  I think it's because I have the time to really look at the words and make sure they reflect my thoughts.  And I'm a person with a lot of people to be grateful to, but who probably doesn't make it known nearly enough.

Over the remainder of Lent, I intend to correct that.  I want to spend some time being openly grateful, letting people know that who they are and what they are hasn't gone unnoticed.  It feels like the right thing to do at this point in my life.

Are any of you doing something special for Lent?  I know some people choose to give something up, but historically, I've been pretty lousy at that practice.  I'd love to hear from you in the comments.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katie. I have given up chocolate again for Lent. It's a small sacrifice I know, and a bit self-serving because I tend to lose a couple of pounds by doing it. I also attend our church's Wednesday Lenten services - for observance and reflection.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...