Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Wednesday Hodgepodge - 2/27


1.  When were you last facing an ocean? Using just ONE word, describe how you felt as you faced that ocean. 

It's been entirely too long.  Two springs ago, in fact.  And I am so ready to have sand between my toes again!  My one word:  peaceful.  I've always said the ocean is where I feel like my best self.

2. What are three sounds you hate to hear?


My alarm clock going off, any kind of metallic scraping sound (nails on a chalkboard, fork on a real plate), and off-pitch singing of any song I love.


3. This question comes to you courtesy of some real life friends. Hi real life friends! When you shop for yourself, do you try everything on in the store before buying or do you buy, try on at home, and then return what you don't like or what doesn't fit?


It depends on my mood.  Most of the time I try to try things on first because I know that I will forget to take them back to the stores in a timely fashion.  But if it's something that I buy often and am pretty familiar with the sizing and whatnot, I will probably just buy it and not worry with trying things on.


4. February 26th is National Pistachio Day...are you a fan of the little green nut? Do you use them in cooking and baking or prefer to eat them right out of the shell?


I do enjoy pistachios.  I don't cook with them, as I don't often cook, but I will eat them out of their little shells.


5. When did you last have to compromise with someone?  Were you happy to reach the compromise or slightly irritated it was necessary? 


Compromise is something I feel like I have to practice all too often.  This is probably because I am a bit of a control freak when it comes to things that I'm working on/involved in.  I'm usually a little irritated when I first have to make concessions, but eventually I get over it and move on.  Compromise is just part of working with people.  Unless you work alone, I don't know how you would avoid it.  


6.  Have you ever written a letter to an elected official? Did you get a response?

I have, but not on a political issue.  When I was working as an AmeriCorps tutor, I did a big bulletin board where I asked people (in the school and beyond) to post their favorite books.  I sent letters to famous people to ask them their favorites, as well.  I received responses back from several political figures, including George Bush, Sr. and Christie Todd Whitman, who was head of the EPA at the time.  I think there were a few others, but I don't remember.  


7. We 'March' into a new month at the end of this week...what's something on your March calendar guaranteed to make you smile?


Being done with the school musical!  I am enjoying this learning process, but it will be such a relief when it is all over.  I have a few other possible highlights for March, but I will tell you more about them when they get here!

8.  Insert your own random thought here.


Is it too early to start wondering who will host next year's Oscars?  I would love to see Neil Patrick Harris or Tina Fey and Amy Poehler give it a whirl.  But no matter who does it, they will probably get torn to shreds because people seem intent on being harsh to whoever is hosting the Oscars.

8 comments:

  1. Hopefully you will be able to have the sand between your toes soon!! Good luck with the musical, and I am sure it will be a fabulous performance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the vote of confidence on the musical. I believe it will all work out in the end, but the in-between can be a little crazy!

      Delete
  2. Best of luck with the musical! My daughters got so much out of theatre in Middle School and also high school...even though its a crazy crazy thing to make it happen, know that it is something the kids will remember for a long time after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That really is my hope. I did community theater from ages 7 to 20 and I loved every minute of it. I made friends that I still keep in touch with today and developed such a love for musical theater. I'm so excited and so lucky to be able to foster that in a new group of kids.

      Delete
  3. Neil Patrick Harris would be great. I had to think for a minute about what movie he was in since they sort of like to have at least some movie person and then realized Harold and Kumar. Not exactly high brow entertainment but if they got Seth MacFarlane who did Ted, that would be ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he would be a great choice, especially since Tina Fey has now stated that she wouldn't want to host the Oscars.

      Delete
  4. Neil Patrick Harris always does such a great job of hosting. I think Jimmy Fallon would be hilarious and very entertaining. I wish you well with the school musical...I'm sure it will go off without a hitch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sad that I didn't mention Jimmy. He is my late-night crush and I do think he's one of the funniest guys out there right now.

      And thanks for the good wishes on the musical!

      Delete

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...