Monday, February 25, 2013

So, The Oscars Happened...

If you follow me on Twitter, I apologize for you were surely exhausted by my NASCAR/Oscar tweets yesterday.  This is what happens when the Daytona 500 and the Oscars are on the same day.  It's a wonder my head didn't explode from all the commentary happening over here.  As far as the racing goes, I'm not a huge Danica fan, but she earned her right to start on the pole and she ran well all day.  As far as finishing 8th, I think she had a little help from the boys who were fine with her setting a few records but weren't quite ready for her to be the winner at the Super Bowl of racing.  But that is solely my opinion.

Enough about racing, let's move on to my area of expertise, entertainment news.  And it doesn't get any better than the Oscars.  Or does it?  I really wanted to love last night's telecast.  I felt like Seth Macfarlane was an interesting choice, as the Academy usually plays it too safe with their choices as host.  Most of his opening fell flat with me, not bad but not really what I was hoping for either.  Though, I think we can all agree that Channing Tatum and Charlize Theron were charming in their dance sequence.  (Just reading that sentence over makes me wonder what exactly made them go to that as a first choice, but whatever.)  There was a lot of filler and music, which normally would make me very happy as I am a Broadway girl first and always, but it just lacked a cohesiveness.  ("And now some more people are going to come out and sing something to distract you from how boring this is becoming..."  It didn't really help.) 

Most of the best moments came towards the end in the form of speeches.  Adele, Jennifer Lawrence, Daniel Day-Lewis, and Ben Affleck all nailed their speeches.  (Ben's made me tear up a bit.)  They were sweet and funny, and you could feel their shock and gratitude in the moment.  They all made Anne Hathaway's feel more than a little manufactured, especially considering she was pretty much a lock to win.  I feel like maybe Anne's been a little overexposed recently, and that's getting her a bad rap when she doesn't really deserve one.  She did great work in Les Mis, but there were a lot of other actresses, even in her own movie (Samantha Barks) who were just as good this year.  

Jennifer Lawrence, however, is fast becoming my favorite actress for sound bites.  Please remember she is only 22, and she's been flung headlong into stardom. This isn't her first Oscars, she was previously nominated for Winter's Bone, but it's her first as such a noticeable actress.  The clip on Good Morning America of her and Jack Nicholson during her interview was so cute and shows a lot about how starstruck thing is no act.  

On the fashion front, I think my favorite dress was Jennifer Garner's.  Loved the color and pretty much everything else about it.  It seemed there was a lot of muted colors with sparkles happening, but I really enjoyed her magenta.  I also liked Adele's dresses.  I know a lot of people give her slack about dressing too old, but I'm all for someone who chooses class over flash.  My least favorite was Anne Hathaway.  Sheena's hubby was right when he said it looked like an apron--an ill-fitting, satin one at that.

Did you watch the show?  What did you love/hate?  Which dresses were you favorite?  Can we all agree that Joseph Gordon Levitt's handsomeness is wildly underrated?  Tell me all about it in the comments!

14 comments:

  1. I just posted my gown review. I agree that Jennifer Garner was best dressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why this surprised me so. Historically, she has always nailed her award show gowns, even when she wasn't the one nominated. And the look she gave been during his speech? So much love!

      Delete
  2. Is Jennifer Lawrence only 22?!?! Oh my you go girl!!!! I also loved her gown! My favourite dresses were Amanda Seyfried's and Amy Adams looked beautiful.

    Worst dressed was Kelly Rowland, Helena Bonham-Carter and certainly Brandi Glanville (why was she even at the Oscars anyway?) Rant over! I saw a snippet of Adele singing - love her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was shocked when they said she was only 22 on the news this morning. I always want to make her older in my head, not the same age as my little sister! I agree with you on the other dresses too. Those were in my top ten favorites.

      I didn't like Kelly Rowland's or Brandi Glanville's, either. I think Brandi may have been doing some network pre-show stuff. (But I wondered why she was there, too!) While I wasn't wild about Helena's dress, I thought it was better than some of her previous choices.

      Delete
    2. Brandi's dress looked like it was too small since her nipples were barely covered. Oh wait she's a "housewife" star. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

      Delete
  3. I loved the music...I felt it was nice to celebrate the music of the movies. Did you notice going in and out of each break the orchestra played familiar music from movies of the past? I was a bit surprised to learn the orchestra was in ANOTHER building tho! Wow! I loved Adele, Barbra, Jennifer Huson, the Les Miz cast!! I thought Seth did a good job, and that some of the "bits" were pretty funny. A few jokes seemed like they were inside jokes for the Hollywood crowd. As for dresses: I loved Jennifer Lawrence's dress: she looked angelic! Unfortunately the wide skirt most likely caused the tumble of the steps. She handled it well tho. I wish Bradley Cooper could have won for Best Male (I know Daniel Day-Lewis as Lincoln WAS great) because it was a really terrific, emotional role he played. I just felt he deserved "more" recognition for a rather deep leading part. All in all, it was good - just Looooonnng.

    ReplyDelete

  4. PS: Worst dress: Anne Hathaway. I was embarrassed for her as she was interviewed on the red carpet with her headlights on high! What happened to wearing those little sticky covers? ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marla, first of all that second comment made me laugh out loud for real! Sorry to Prada, but I just didn't love that dress. The color, the cut, the whole darn thing. And that's not even mentioning that it wasn't meant for a cool, bra-less night in LA.

      I enjoyed the music. It just felt really disconnected with what's happening overall. The little nods to the other great films was cool, but I wish the orchestra had been there instead of down the street. How can you celebrate music if there are no musicians to be seen? (Well, except for Adele's band.)

      As far a Bradley Cooper, I think he just had the misfortune of being part of a really competitive year. Even getting the nomination was huge. I have yet to see the movie, but my parents saw it over the weekend and loved it.

      Delete
  5. I didn't watch the oscars this year. Hated to be infuriated or disappointed. So the results were in the paper this a.m. It worked out without me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, I almost decided not to watch, but I was really interested in the best actor/actress and best film races.

      Delete
  6. I watched a lot of it (the oscars that is), but boy was it long. I thought Charlize Theron's dress was stunning, as was she. I just wanted to see Russell Crowe, too bad they didn't show him too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought Charlize Theron was gorgeous as well, but I think I overlook her because she always is so beautiful and spot on with her fashion choices. I mean, if she can make that haircut (which I believe she got for a movie) work, she can do anything. Also read today that she was a Joffery trained ballet dancer. No wonder her Ginger to Channing's Fred was so gorgeously danced!

      I haven't seen Les Mis, but Russell Crowe was the one piece of casting in that movie that I questioned.

      Delete
  7. I am a big fan of Jennifer Lawrence and thought she looked beautiful. Charlize Theron is stunning- what a face! Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner are so cute and I hope they have a long long marriage.

    I read Brandy designed her own dress. It needed straps to pull it up. She looked way too thin!

    My only negatives-

    Too long!!!

    Michelle Obama ( or any first lady) -completely ridiculous and unnecessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Oscars are always too long. They need whoever directed this year's Golden Globes to take a whack at next year's Oscars. I felt like those moved along at a great place.

      I didn't really bother me that Michelle Obama was beamed in, but it didn't really make my night either. I did like her dress. (The sequins/sparkles trend is one I am really loving. Catherine Zeta-Jones, Nicole Kidman, and Jessica Chastain were all wearing amazing creations!)

      Delete

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...