Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Wednesday Hodgepodge - The Better Late Than Never Edition



1.  This week marks the beginning of Lent...will you be giving something up or adding anything to your life during this season of the year? 

I have thought about this, but I am still not really sure.  I usually try to focus on adding something good rather than on giving up.  When I give up something, I seem to spend all my time trying to come up with exceptions to the rule, which is not exactly the point.  I'm still reflecting on it, and if I come to any real conclusions, I will let you know.




2. The day before Lent is Shrove Tuesday... tradition states you eat pancakes on this day. In some parts of the world Shrove Tuesday is actually known as 'pancake day'. How do you like your pancakes? Or don't you? 


I love pancakes!  They are one of my favorite foods.  I'm a butter and maple syrup kind of girl, and lately I've even been using sugar-free syrup and Brummel and Brown Butter, so it's not really that bad for you if you don't think about the carb situation.


3.  I'm sure there are many, but what's one love song you really love? 

My favorite is "True Companion" by Marc Cohn.  He wrote it for his wife, Elizabeth Vargas, and the imagery he uses is just perfect.  My favorite line  is, "Got this vision of a girl in white, made my decision that it's you alright."




4.  What are some things you do to let others know you love them? 


Being open about my feelings in person is not something I'm really good at.  I come from a people who aren't really big talkers about their feelings.  But I think that I am pretty good with words.  So, I try to take time to write down how I feel about the people in my life in cards or letters.   (Or emails.)  And what I have learned over the last couple of years is that sometimes, if you don't have the words, stepping up and being there counts just as much.  (Wish I didn't have to learn every lesson the hard way.)




5.  Roses...red, pink, or do you prefer another color? Can you recall the last time someone gave you flowers? Given your choice would you like to open the door and see a dozen red roses, a dozen purple tulips, or a dozen pink peonies?

I like roses very much, and if I had a choose a color I would probably pick the traditional red.  It's been a long time since I received flowers, probably back when I used to do community theater (which I haven't done since I was 20).  If I had my pick I would want the peonies!  They are so beautiful and fragrant.



6.  President's Day will be celebrated in America next Monday. Does US Presidential history and trivia interest you?  Many Presidential homes are open to the public and offer guided tours...Monticello (Jefferson's home), Mount Vernon (Washington's home), Montpelier (James Madison's home), Hyde Park(FD Roosevelt's home) and The White House (home to the sitting President) to name just a few. Of those listed which would you be most interested in touring?  Why?


I'm a history teacher and a trivia lover, so I do like presidential history and trivia.  I have actually tours Mt. Vernon, but I think the one that most interests me that I haven't been to would be Monticello.  I think Jefferson was a man with thoughts bigger than the time in which he lived and I think it would be fascinating to see his architecture and inventions.  I would also really like to tour The White House, but I would want to see more than you probably get to see on the standard tour.  (When I was in DC, tours were not being given of The White House.)




7.  Are you good at keeping secrets? 

Nowadays, yes.  I can keep a secret with the best of them.  But that hasn't always been so.  In the past, I would get overly excited or just overly nosy and tell more things than I probably should have.  It's a character flaw that I am working on.



8.  Insert your own random thought here.

I've come the conclusion that things aren't going to stop being insane until school lets out.  But, the upside that's only three months away.  Until then, I'm trying to be as in the moment as possible, and focus on the really important things, like the awesome people I have in my life both online and in real life.

3 comments:

  1. I've toured the White House twice. You really don't get to see a lot and now you can't even take a camera in. It's much better to your it on tv like on the Christmas decorating show on hgtv.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a wonderful DVD that I show my students about the White House. It's more in-depth like that.

      Delete
  2. Better late with Hodgepodge than never! I actually looked for you earlier in the day because I like reading your posts. I will have to give the Marc Cohn song "True Companion" a listen to.. I don't know much of his music but "Walkig in Memphis". Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...