Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Wednesday Hodgepodge - 5/15
1. May is National Blood Pressure Month...what sends yours soaring, either literally or figuratively? What calms you down? When did you last have your bp checked?
I used to be a lot easier to get riled up than I am now. But if you say something negative about my family, particularly my sister, it's on. What calms me down these days is spending time with the Divine Miss M, my niece, or having a glass of wine. I probably last had my bp checked when I went to the doctor for a sinus infection in the fall.
2. You just found $1-what do you spend it on? How about 10$ 100?
One dollar - a sweet tea from the convenience store
Ten dollars - a DVD of some movie only I would love
One hundred dollars - right now, I would totally spend it on my bathroom renovation that I keep trying to start.
3. Mandatory labeling of genetically engineered (GE) food has been proposed, but not enacted in the US. How much attention do you give food labels before you buy? Are you in favor of labeling if it means an increase in food prices? Is this an issue you've been following and feel strongly about, or is this the first you've heard of the controversy?
I've heard of the controversy, but I am probably not as educated as I should be on the subject. We used to talk about it a lot in a science class I had in college. I do try to pay attention to what I eat, but that doesn't always stop me from eating things that they tell us we aren't supposed to. I hoping to really take advantage of some of the local farmer's markets this summer, and I know that they label their products according to the process used to raise them.
4. May 15th marks the birthdate of Frank Baum, author of The Wizard of Oz. At this point in time, are you more in need of brains, courage, heart, or a trip back home? Explain.
I think I am currently in need of a little courage.
5. "There's no place like home" is an oft repeated line from Baum's book. When was the last time you felt the truth of that statement?
I'm lucky that I live in the same region in which I was raised. I think I feel that way the most when I've been on an extended trip (NYC comes to mind). I'm always glad to go somewhere, but it's so nice to get back to the people and place that are familiar too.
6. Steak...yes please or no thank you? What cut do you prefer and how do you like yours cooked? Sauce or no sauce? Besides your own kitchen, where's a place you like to go to get a great steak?
Yes, please! I'm not terribly picky about the cut, usually the sirloin or filet. I like it well or medium-well, depending on who is cooking. I don't want it blackened, but I also don't want it too pink. I love A1 on my steak. I like the steaks at Outback or Longhorn, I rarely go anywhere fancy to get them.
7. When was the last time you were in a genuine hurry?
I feel like I am in a hurry all time, but I was in a genuine one just last night, when I was trying to book it between my second job and 8th grade graduation! It was a little crazy, but I got it all done!
8. Insert your own random thought here.
Grades are turned in. My room is almost completely packed. Come Friday, summer is officially here. Of course, I have lots of plans for my "time off," most of which include planning for next school year. But don't worry, I have some fun scheduled, too! And lots of blogging!