Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Day 4: My Favorite Book

I've always loved books, but I don't get a lot of time to read.  My parents gave me a Nook for Christmas, so I have just gotten into the e-book thing.  In fact, recently I've finished The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (beautiful and heartbreaking), Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick (wildly different from the movie),  and Girls Like Us: Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Carly Simon and the Journey of a Generation by Sheila Weller (a long, but very interesting look at those brilliant artists).  I'm currently reading A Year of Biblical Womanhood by Rachel Held Evans.  It's about women, both in biblical times and now, and I am truly learning so much.

However, if I had to pick a favorite book it would be a toss up between Bossypants by Tina Fey and Such a Pretty Fat by Jen Lancaster.  What can I say?  I have a thing for really funny women who write non-fiction.  The thing about both of these ladies is that their books aren't just hysterical, they also have a lot of heart, and I think that's key.  Being funny is great, but their stories resonate because you feel a little bit of that, "She feels like that?  Me too!"  That little bit of validation can go a long way!  Jen (I can use her first name because I am sure we would be best friends) has a new book that came out yesterday, The Tao of Martha, and I can't wait to read it!

Summer is really when I get the bulk of my reading done, so if you have any good suggestions, I would love to hear them!

5 comments:

  1. I can never pick a favorite book, but I generally go with Anne of Green Gables. It never gets old.

    I am always reading...I like Kate Morton (House at Riverton is my favorite of hers). Have you read The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Satterfield-great book! Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay was another one I loved, The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell...those are older books but memorable. I recently read 1000 White Women which is fiction, but feels like non-fiction. Really good too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to say my favorite book is Gone with the Wind. Seriously. So good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read A Year of Biblical Womanhood and it's on my summer list of books to read! I have a list of books to add to my library list. I'm glad you're hosting this:) Lots of great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO many books how to choose just or even two! I love that there is a type of book for everybody and unlike TV, once it's out, even if there is on person who loves it, it'll always be there!


    This is such a fun challenge! I'm loving reading everyone's take on the prompts. (And thanks to having all the prompts ahead of time I can schedule my posts even if I'm gone all day. I just can't link up until evening. But amazing that I'm 4 for 4 so far! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anything by Kristin Hannah! She does a great job of character development and portrays strong women who overcome a lot of adversity.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...