Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Wednesday Hodgepodge - 6/5


1. Have you learned more from success or failure? Explain.

I think that I've learned more from failure.  When you are successful, you certainly learn things, but I think that I also spend a great deal of time celebrating myself.  When I've failed, it's all about picking yourself up and trying to decide what's next.  That's when I think you learn the most about who you are and what you are capable of.  


2.  What did you call your grandparents when you were growing up? If you have children, what do they call your parents? If you have grandchildren, what do they call you?

I always called both sets of grandparents Grandma and Grandpa, then attached their first names.  I don't have any kids, but my niece calls my parents Nana and Grandpa, and she calls my grandmother Granny.  However, when my SIL was pregnant, we came up with some real doosies as possibilities.  Thankfully, we didn't use any of them.


3.  You're invited to a luau.  In keeping with that theme, what dish will you bring to share? 

A pineapple?  Because I don't think I am going to be very good at roasting a pig or anything.  And we all know the less cooking I do, the better.  (Though, newsflash--I am trying to get better at it!)


4. Besides Jesus, what one person's life story do you think everyone should know about?

It's hard for a history teacher to make this call.  There are so many amazing people, especially women, who have been historically overlooked by many historians and history books.  For the purposes of this question, and to keep from droning on and on, I will narrow it down to Susan B. Anthony and Nellie Bly.  Both women were firecrackers who used their convictions to change society in big ways.  And if you don't know their stories, I encourage you to find out!


5. "Don't sweat the small stuff." Agree or Disagree? Why?

I tend toward the anxious.  I don't want to worry, but I can't seem to help myself.  However, I do think that there are a lot of things that we can let slide.  It's better to pick your battles than to try to fight them all.


6.  June is National Rivers Month. When were you last on a river? What's the prettiest river you've ever seen? What's a river you'd like to see? 

I love the ocean, but I'm kind of scared of rivers.  I know that doesn't really make sense, but when did we work on that premise around here?  I live near many rivers, but most of them are not what I would call pretty.  I would love to see the Seine or the Thames, just because it means I would be abroad.  I'd also really like to see the Colorado River at the Grand Canyon.


7.  Speaking of rivers-paddling, fishing, swimming, or bird watching safely from the shore? Which activity would you choose? Yes-you have to choose. 

I would probably have to go with the bird watching.  It's a lot easier to take pictures from the shore, too!


8.  Insert your own random thought here.

I've been doing the #100in JuneChallenge for a week (on Saturday) and by the time you're reading this I will have already walked 20 miles.  To put it in perspective, I only walked 32.42 miles in the entire month of May.  I don't know what I have to thank for this new drive, especially because I still pretty much hate the entire workout, but I'm taking full advantage of it!

5 comments:

  1. Don't go paddling in the Thames - it's pretty rank!! There are some gorgeous rivers north of the border though.... ;)

    Well done with the Challenge so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so weird...I'm afraid of the ocean and totally comfortable with rivers. Go figure!? LOL! Guess it's all what your experiences have taught you. Awesome...so proud of you in your challenge! Keep it up!! Happy Hodgepodge!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In reading all the answer for the luau, we're going to have LOTS of pineapple but no pig! It's fine because I love pineapple, but I'll just have to bring my brother along. He roasted a pig for the luau he threw for my nieces' Sweet 16. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go on the challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on meeting the challenge! Keep going!! I think rivers can sometimes be scary, particularly raging rivers. Oceans we tend to stay in sight of the shore and while it is massive and powerful we go into it with caution. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...