Thursday, February 24, 2011

Geese

This morning, on the way to work, there were two Canadian geese standing on a pond bank, the male standing watch while the female ate.  It almost made me cry.  I wish I were kidding.

See, geese mate for life.  Really.  They stay together for all seasons, and only replace a mate if they die.  They are devoted to each other.   They protect each other.  And I guess, recently I've been feeling very unprotected.  I'm great at being independent, until I'm not.  Then, I'm a mess.  Being sick this week is kicking my butt.  There are a million things that I need to do, things that I just don't feel like doing (hello, grocery shopping!).  It would be nice to have someone else to share the load with sometimes.  It would be nice to not have to complete every task, make every decision on my own. 

I know some think of being single as liberating.  Sometimes, it is.  I don't have to see movies I don't want to see or decide how to split up time on holidays.  Trust me, I'm not crazy enough to believe that having a significant other magically makes everything easier either.  All I'm saying is that sometimes, it must be nice to just have someone there.  Even if they forget to take the trash out, leave the seat up, or leave their dirty socks next to the chair in the living room. 

This morning, for a while at least, I wish I were a goose.  So either I'm lonely, or I really need to cut back on the cold meds.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...