Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Wednesday Hodgepodge - 12/5




1.  Share your traditions surrounding the Christmas stocking. 

Our stockings at my parents' house each have their own special hanger that was purchased for our first Christmas.  Mine is a creepy little elf.  But he holds my stocking, so I guess I really shouldn't complain.  They go over the mantle until they are filled with Christmas goodies.  Then they sit with our gifts from Santa.  (Yes, we are 31, 27, and 22 and our mom still does Santa gifts.  But in her words, "Those who don't believe, don't receive."  And she's a retired kindergarten teacher, so you know she means it.  


2.  How many hours of sleep do you average at night?  Is it enough?


On an average school night, I get about seven hours of sleep.  It is never enough, especially lately.  I tend to make up for it on the weekends.  I do my best on about 9-10 hours a night, but I am not willing to go to bed as soon as I get home to make that happen.


3.  If you had to give up one thing for the remainder of this year what would it be?


This question should not be that hard.  I think I would have to go with soda.  I really drink it rarely anymore, but I am trying to take it out of my diet completely.  Next, I am going to start on my beloved sweet tea.  I don't even want to talk about how traumatic that is going to be.


4.  The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge (or Wills and Kate as I like to call them) have announced they're expecting a baby. Do you follow news of the Royals? 


I do follow news of the Royals, and I was very excited!  Maybe it's just because they are my age and they seem like such a nice, normal couple considering their circumstances.  Maybe it's my near lifelong obsession with English royalty.  Either way, I am so very happy for them!


5.  For me,  the sound of childhood is__________________.


I can think of a million smells that bring back thoughts of my childhood, but sound is harder.  I think it would have to be the sound of a tractor.  My grandpa used to take us on rides when we were little, and it was always a highlight of our days with him.  


6.  Fruit cake-yay or boo? What's your favorite dessert made with fruit?


Boo.  My favorite dessert made with fruit is crumb top apple pie.  I'm not a big pie fan, but this one is so very good!


7. What is one thing you want to accomplish before 2012 comes to an end?


I want to have made it through three quality choir performances.  We have one tonight and two more before school is out.  If we can get those done, I will certainly feel relieved.


8.  Insert your own random thought here.


I'm hoping that volunteering to host some of the Christmas Break festivities will give me the push I need to actually give my house the kind of cleaning and organization it actually needs.  Either that, or I am going to be pushing things in closets in a way I never have before.  It's really too early to tell at this point.

5 comments:

  1. Awwww your mom is so cute! :) I love her motto!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not alone. My family does Santa gifts as well. Every Christmas morning, my stocking shows up in front of the tree, suddenly filled with random things, and my big Santa present sitting in front of the tree as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad I am not the only mother who still does Santa gifts-daughters are 25 & 23 and step-son is 35! and I say the same thing-'if you don't believe, you won't receive."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mom is right : ). We have a similar Santa philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your Mum's thinking and I think it's a great tradition to have. I think the sound of my childhood is playground noise. I have a school near me and when I hear them playing it takes me back to being a kid again :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...