- Students called to "fat meeting" -- I saw this story this morning on my local ABC affiliate, and couldn't believe the way the school bungled this situation. To summarize, in the interest of student health, the school called all of the obese or potentially obese students out of class into a meeting to offer them an option of a nutrition class. Where do I even begin with my problems with this? First of all, if they wanted to do this, perhaps the school shouldn't have called them all out of class together. Secondly, why not offer this class to all students? Use it as a chance to address all eating disorders, healthy choices, etc. In the interview I watched, several of the parents said their children were athletes and had been to the doctor and were found to be very healthy. The principal did issue a somewhat lame apology, but this whole situation could have been avoided.
- Amanda Knox speaks -- I watched the interview, like millions of other people. I had read and heard about the story over the years, but I was anxious to see what she would have to say. And to me, she came across as odd. Someone on Twitter said something to the effect of "I don't think she did it, but I wouldn't want her to have been my friend or roommate." And that's about where the interview left me. If someone I lived with was killed in our apartment, I would still feel sadness. I realize it's been more than four years, but I still expected to see a lot more emotion than she showed. I would love to hear your thoughts about this if you have some.
- Scandal (the TV show) -- I've loved this show since the beginning. Shonda Rimes has outdone herself with the twists and turns of this season! And I don't think we are anywhere close to the end of the story yet. I love all of the Gladiators (especially Huck--how heartbreaking was last week's origin story?), but I especially love Mellie, played by the exceeding excellent Bellamy Young. She plays the First Lady with enough evil to make her an antagonist, but with enough heart that you don't loathe her presence. In fact, I usually am anxious to see what she does next! Are you watching?
- Reese Witherspoon got arrested -- Even beloved, usually normal celebrities make bad choices. The good news is that when the rest of us make a poor choice, it's not blasted across the national news. I feel bad for her to a point, but if you pull the "don't you know who I am?" card, you forfeit a certain amount of sympathy. However, I think she is handling the aftermath with a great deal of class. You can hear more of what she had to say for herself here.
- TV Renewals - Parenthood got renewed for a 22 episode fifth season last week! That was big happy news for this fan! Also, Hart of Dixie, my CW guilty pleasure (which is a sweet little show), was also renewed. I don't think the same is going to happen for Smash, after an uneven season at best, but the last few episodes have been pretty great. (Particularly this duet of "That's Life".)
Think that's about it for now! Let's discuss!