Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Wednesday Hodgepodge - 5/8


1. When the children of today grow up, what do you think they'll say about this period in time? What do you most hope they remember?

I hope that they are able to remember at least some good things.  Because good things happen every day, too, we just forget to talk about them.  They will probably also say that their cell phones were huge and once they had to log on to a computer not just wave their hand in the air or whatever technology has cooked up in the meantime.

2. National Teacher's Day is celebrated in the US of A on the first Tuesday in May, this year May 7th...share how a particular teacher positively impacted you.

I have been blessed with some amazing teachers over the years. One that I have always felt particularly sentimental about is Mrs. Cross.  She was my second grade teacher and she just taught us so many amazing things.  I still have a blue ribbon that she gave those of us who read 100 books.  It hangs in my classroom.  She passed away when I was in college after a long battle with breast cancer, and I wasn't able to make her funeral because I was on a trip to New York.  But I think of her all the time.  

3. What's a dish your mama made, that if set in front of you today would whisk you right back to childhood?                                                                      

My mama is a good cook, but the dish that always takes me back is grilled cheese.  We would have them a lot on Saturdays for lunch.  Always brings back happy memories, even when one side inevitably got a little more done than the other.

4. Mother May I was a game we played when I was growing up...no pieces, parts, or plugs required. What games from childhood do you remember loving that were also pieces, parts, and plug-free?
I remember playing Red Rover, which was apparently really bad because kids could dislocate shoulders and stuff.  I also remember square dancing in PE, which is equal parts hilarious and disturbing.

5. Besides your own mother, tell us about a woman who influenced you as a child?
This one's easy.  My godmother, Linda, was one of the sweetest, most wonderful women I've ever known.  She was my First Communion instructor and just a guiding light in my walk with God.  She had the best laugh and the most unmistakable voice.  I think about her all the time, but especially today.  Cancer took her from us three years ago on May 8.  I sang at her funeral, because I know she would have wanted me to, but it was one of the hardest things I've ever done.  

6. Mamma Mia! What's the best play or musical you've ever seen? 
Ooo...you know how I love my musicals.  I think the best I've seen as far as costuming would be The Lion King.  When the "animals" take the stage in the opening, it's just breathtaking.  Talent-wise, I think I would have to go with Aida.  Heather Headley's voice is unlike any other and when she sings songs like "The Gods Love Nubia", you feel every single note.  I haven't been to theatre in a long time.  I should really do something about that!

7. What are three smells that make you feel nostalgic?

My grandma's farmhouse, cookies baking, and corn fresh out of the fields.



8.  Insert your own random thought here.
Only one more week of school for me.  And I am ready!  I love my job, but I need to come up for air and then get to work on planning next year.

12 comments:

  1. Happy Teacher Appreciation Week! Thank you for all you do for your students!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marla! It's been a good week so far, even though what I'd really like is a nap! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, school finishes early in the USA - Scotland doesn't finish til end of June, England not until halfway through July.

    I've not seen The Lion King musical - it looks a lot of fun. I imagine if you like that one, you'll love Matilda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We start in mid-August and get out mid-May. But other schools here do it differently. It's often based on our region.

      Matilda is one that I would love to see! That list seems to be ever-growing!

      Delete
  3. I love the Lion King too. I've only seen it once, and would like to see it again because I don't think you can take in all the detail in one sitting. Summer-whoohoo!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw it twice in New York, in 1998 and 2000, because a friend of mine was in it. (He was the understudy for, then the lead as older Simba.) We even got to tour backstage and stand on the stage at the New Amsterdam. It was easily one of the coolest moments in my life!

      Delete
  4. I have three weeks of school left-a much needed break.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How could I leave 'baking cookies' off my list! I love live theater but have never gotten to see a broadway play. That is totally on my bucket list - and I would love to see Lion King! Isn't it funny how the simplest dishes can be your favorite. I love grilled cheese to :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend Broadway. Even seeing a show locally or a traveling company is great, but it does not compare to the energy of seeing a show in New York. Nothing else like it. (Well, except maybe London, but I've never been there!)

      Thanks for stopping in!

      Delete
  6. Happy Teacher Appreciation Week. I too teach ( fifth grade). I'm jealous you only have a week left. We don't get out until June 14th. Ugh! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Teacher Appreciation Week right back! We start early, but the upside is being out in the middle of May. I'm planning to make the most of my summer and I hope you do, too!

      Delete

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...