Saturday, April 14, 2012

M Is For Movies

Snow White and the Seven Dwarves is the first movie that I remember seeing in the theaters.  My friend, Charlotte and I saw it together with her mom.  We couldn't have been older than first or second grade, but I still remember it.  Movies have had that kind of impact on me.  I've written it about it before, in fact.  During the 30 Day Challenge, I made a list of some of my all-time favorites.   And I even have a list of pretty famous movies that I haven't seen.  (It's my not-so secret shame, to be sure!)

Today, my office hosts a collection of well over 200 hundred titles.  Many are classics, some are stocked for viewing with the Divine Miss M someday, and a few I should probably be ashamed of.  (I openly admit that I frequent the $5.00 bin a bit too often.  I just can't help myself!)  I am many things, but I am not a movie snob!  Yes, I love Casablanca, but there's a time and place for Summer School, too.  It's nothing for me to watch three or four movies while I pretend to clean or do laundry on a leisurely Saturday.  Those are actually some of my favorite days.

Movies take us to places we may never see, into the experiences of characters whose lives we may never live.  And there has always been something so enchanting to me about that. Not just because I dreamed, like many other little girls, of becoming an actress.  Movies offered me a window into a world bigger than my hometown, and when you felt claustrophobic from the small minds of a small town, that was pretty much the best thing ever. 

What are some of your favorite movies?  Do you remember the first one you saw in a theater?  Your comments are the best part of this challenge!

8 comments:

  1. First was Disney's Alice in Wonderland, and the big pictures scared me. Next was The Vikings (Kirk Douglas) and I loved it. What a difference a few months' maturity made. I think I was four. I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge Blogs this month. My alphabet blog is myqualityday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't remember my first movie....can I blame it on old age?? But...I think the one movie I remember my girlfriends and going to see more than once, twice, thrice...well you get the picture...was....GREASE!! Yeah, I know, probably geeky! lol. I must confess, I purchased it in the 5.00 bin!! I can't get n e one here to watch it with me! I don't understand?? lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit I do love Grease! In college, my friends and I all went to a midnight showing sing-along (which we would have done anyway because we were theater geeks)! It was so much fun!

      Delete
  3. Sweet Home Alabama, Father of the Bride, For the Love of the Game (also a Kevin Costner Baseball movie), The Breakfast Club, Sound of Music, Apollo 13, The Parent Trap and Love Actually which is definitely close to the top of my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like all of those too! I watch Sweet Home Alabama all the time! It's one of the only movies I can quote well. (Well, that and Steel Magnolias!)

      Delete
  4. Hmmm . . . I like some old ones, such as Sound of Music, Fiddler on the Roof, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Oklahoma, etc.

    I'm odd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not like Breakfast at Tiffany's. I've watched it more than once and just can't get there. But I am usually game for one of the classics!

      Delete

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...