Friday, March 8, 2013

Kelly's SUYL: On Being An Aunt

I've always been the kind of person who likes kids.  I think most are cute, funny, and fun to cuddle.  I love to listen to a little kid giggle over something.  I have not, however, ever really had the urge, at least up to this point, to have one that I am fully responsible for 24/7.  Let's just call it like it is: first, I'm single which puts a little hitch in the plans and second, I'm kind of selfish with my time.  I like sleep.  A lot.  I love quick trips to major cities without having find a babysitter.  I love spending the day watching a movie or reading a book uninterrupted.  Additionally, I am a teacher, so I deal with kids all day long. Junior high school kids. The last thing I want to do when I leave work is to have another kid to deal with.  Well, except for one.

You see, almost 14 months ago, my brother and favorite SIL gave our family its first grandchild, my first niece.  She is the most darling thing in the history of the world.  What?  You don't believe me?  Here's The Divine Miss M last week.

It's hard to tell, but she's wearing my sunglasses on her head.  Needless to say, I'm pretty much hooked on this girl and have been since the moment she was born.  For instance, I made a quick trip into the city (just got back a couple hours ago) and the best part of my trip wasn't the hour I spent in Sephora or lunch at my favorite restaurant.  Nope, it was buying this sweet girl a couple of new outfits.  (And I'm chomping at the bit to give them to her!)  I think she's the funniest, smartest, sweetest little person in the world.  (I'm hopelessly biased, but also right.)  While I still love that I can pass her off to her loving parents when she's feeling a little fussy or has a dirty diaper, she's pretty much it for me.  She's my favorite photography subject and the only little one I will let give me far-too-sloppy kisses!  


I can't even begin to think of all of the adventures we will have as she gets older.  I already have lists of movies I want to watch with her on our future sleepovers, books I want to buy for her to read, places I want us to go together.  You see, my aunties always spoiled me and made me feel so very special, and I will have no less for Miss M.  It actually makes me teary to think about how grateful I am to have her in my life.  I rang in the New Year with her asleep in my arms and it was the best one yet!  


Who knows if I will ever have kids of my own, but being an aunt is one of the best experiences of my life.   




4 comments:

  1. Oh my, look at those cheeks! She is adorable! (found you through SUYL at Kelly's Korner)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Those cheeks are just so kissable!

      Delete
  2. She has the most BEAUTIFUL eyes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We thought they might get darker but they stopped at that perfect deep blue. And she already knows how to use them to her advantage! (Not that she needs much help to get what she wants!!)

      Delete

Comments make my day! Leave me one here...